"Creativity is contagious, pass it on." ~Albert Einstein

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Education is the Best Medicine

I created the Smore that you see below awhile back in order to better educate the parents of our K-12 students.  We have been 1:1 with iPads at the school I teach at for a year and I am constantly trying to stay ahead of our students when it comes to the social media apps that they are using.

I am a firm believer that education is the best medicine when it comes to prevention in regards to students making mistakes online. Yes, students are going to make mistakes online.  I know I did plenty of stupid/silly things when I was a teenager and I am so thankful that I didn't have access to social media like our students do today.  Schools and parents need to work together on educating our children about appropriate online behavior.

Like I mention in the Smore, I think it would be a great idea to sit down tonight with your child and go through the apps that they are using.  Look at their camera roll, dig into some of the apps that they are using, talk about the recent Snapchat hack.  Have them explain to you how they are using certain apps. Be ready, your child probably knows a lot more about some of the apps than you do.  Ask them why they use a certain app.  Ask them what they are doing with the app.  Become an investigator.

1 comment:

Author

authorHusband, Dad, Son, Brother, Teacher, Coach, Learner, Catalyst, Collaborator, Creator, Contributor, EdTecher, DIYer, Tinkerer, Golfer, Exerciser, Gardener.



Followers

Labels